Monday, January 10, 2011

pura vida



If I were to ever get a tattoo, I would get “Pura Vida” inked in some fancy lettering.  (I’m not… no worries Mom :) )  The Spanish phrase “Pura Vida” literally translates in English to “pure life” but has a much more profound meaning and has become a way of life in Costa Rica.  Pura Vida embodies a philosophy where life should be enjoyed leisurely, celebrated to the fullest, and challenged to overcome difficulties with a resilient and happy spirit.  My mom and I volunteered in a health clinic in Costa Rica a couple summers ago.  She doesn’t speak a word of Spanish (seriously, "hola" hysterically came out as "halo"), but our host family told her the only two words she would need to know were Pura Vida.  

My blog is named Pura Nica because I hope to bring all that goes along w/ the Pura Vida philosophy to my life in Nicaragua.  As most of you probably already know, I will be volunteering until April with Manna Project International.  I’ve created the blog to keep you up to date on my foreign adventures,  to let you know how we’re working to improve and build relationships with surrounding communities, and to raise awareness about this special country.

Why Nicaragua?

The facts: Nicaragua is the second poorest country in the Western hemisphere behind Haiti. One in four children is born to a teenage mother.  One third of the adult population cannot read and write.  One in three children suffers from some form of malnutrition.

My story:  I fell in love with Nicaragua 3 years ago when I traveled on a spring break trip through the Nicaraguan Orphan Fund at JMU.  During my first night, one of the trip leaders shared his past experience with Nicaragua in the context of “Nicaragua always wins.”  He spoke about tales of illness from the foreign food, sunburn, soccer matches with the locals, unexpected need for change in plans…Nicaragua always won.  I served Nicaragua by collecting material donations, loving orphans and spreading joy throughout La Chureca during el Dia De Luz.  However, by the end of the trip, I felt like Nicaragua had “won” once again and ended up serving me in a bigger way.  In brief, my foundation was shaken, and the experience was incredible.  I’m excited to give back to a community which has had such a vital role in shaping the person I’ve become today.

Thanks for taking an interest in my adventures!  I'm excited to keep you updated :) dale pues amigos!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home