Monday, January 10, 2011

goodbye

In Nicaragua, people who pass each other while out and about say “adios” similar to how we say hello/hi/hey/what’s up/etc in the States.  When the gringos (term Nicaraguans use for white people) walk by, the Nicaraguans try to impress us with their English, so they say “goodbye.”  I still laugh because it just sounds so backwards.

However, goodbye is just the perfect word to describe my life right now.  I left for Nicaragua this past Friday.  I said goodbye in America to family, my friends and boyfriend, my dog.  Goodbye to warm showers, water pressure, dryers, automatic cars, television, high speed internet, flushing toilet paper, winter coats, dollars, my cell phone, my comfort zone.

In Nicaragua, it’s “goodbye” to central time, gorgeous sunny weather, rice and beans, clotheslines, tevas, bathing suits, fans, mean guard dogs, dusty dirt roads, Spanish, bug spray and sunblock, hammocks, the pool, leisure time.  “Goodbye” to a group of 9 fellow Manna volunteers and countless community members involved with our programs.  

My journey down to Central America was not uneventful.  Chaos started in Orlando where American Airline’s computer system went down.  I had to re-check in and all flights were severely delayed.  When I arrived at my next connection in Miami, I olympic sprinted through the airport to get to my next gate to make my flight which was supposed to leave 5 min after I landed.  I made it to the gate which had stopped boarding but was waiting for a delayed captain and BEGGED a security guard to let me in.  I was that person on the plane who arrived super late and looked in nearly every baggage compartment to find room for my carry on.  Lo siento (sorry) about it!  

Those of you who have seen me recently know I’ve had a terrible case of a cold.  I blame my worn out immune system on constant exposure to every viral illness known to man in the ER and a weird/lack of sleep schedule due to my ER shifts.  When I arrived in Nicaragua, customs made me fill out a health sheet.  In the past 10 days, have I had: cough, nasal congestion, chills, headache?  I said no but apparently couldn’t fool the Nicaraguan physician.  I did play straight up dumb pretending like I didn’t understand a single Spanish word he was saying when he asked to take my temperature and threatened to put me in a quarantine room.  Luckily, he got frustrated and gave up.

Almost there.  Last step was baggage claim then I was on my way to settle into the Manna house.  So I waited and waited…and waited for my bags only to realize they had not made it on the plane w/ me.

Day 1.  Nicaragua: 1 and Joanna: 0.  But I still could not be more excited to be here.  A nice man named Omar delivered my bags the next day.  Thank goooodness.  I’ll post some pictures of the house later so you can see where I’m living :) 

Paz y amor!

1 Comments:

Blogger emily morgan thompson said...

chica.
so stoked for this blog.
i'm sorry for all your travel-troubles, but I must say, I'm not surprised :) haha
please give all the 13.5ers huge huge hugs for me!
can't wait to keep up on all your adventures.

January 11, 2011 at 1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home