Wednesday, January 26, 2011

who let the dogs out?

Visiting a third world country is one thing.  Living in a third world country is completely different.  While you’re visiting, you have the mindset that everything is temporary, and more often than not, you have someone dedicated to help you through your stay… whether it’s seasoned leaders of your group, parents, hotel staff, etc.  No one takes responsibility for you 24/7 when you’re living somewhere.  What does this mean?  I’ve had to learn how to live in Nicaragua. 
The hardest part about trying to go somewhere in the US?  Usually finding my keys.  The hardest part about trying to go out in Nicaragua?  Everything!
Let’s start with, if the dogs are out, I feel like a prisoner in my own house.  We have 2 Rottweilers named Sidney and Cola (Cola means tail in Spanish, he still has his) who are way too good at their guard job.  The dogs typically take a little while to warm up to you and are under close supervision until that point is reached.  I am not there.  I am petrified of the beasts.

cola.
The other night, I tried to man-up and walk past them to the pool house.  Cola and Sidney were kind enough to sense my fear, jump up, ferociously bark and charge at me.  It was too late to turn around, but I was not going to stand there and lose a limb.  So into the pool I went.  I was fully clothed, fresh out of the shower, and definitely was not anticipating an evening swim.

If I were to make it safely past the dogs, the next obstacle would be the manual vehicles.  I’ve been learning how to drive a manual car but still haven’t had the opportunity to master the art.  Learning to drive stick shift in Nicaragua is quite fun.  Sometimes when we drive, I feel like we’re in a video game as we rumble over uneven roads, dodge men trying to wash our windshield at stoplights, and wait for cows to get out of the way (moo moo farm anyone?).

our driveway. I wish I could measure the angle of steepness or that this photo did it justice.
If I were to successfully drive somewhere, I’d be greeted with a language barrier.  Not an insurmountable obstacle but enough of an obstacle to challenge my comfort zone.  I absolutely love the Spanish language, and I’m fairly good at it.  But I still meet people who talk 9874 miles a minute, use regional terms, and prove difficult to understand.  Sometimes it’s mentally exhausting to engage in long conversations.
I had gotten so good at my routines in the US that I wasn’t used to (or maybe even aware of) the patience it requires learning something new.  The experience is challenging and incredibly rewarding.  I am becoming more comfortable as I learn how to live here.  And I’m loving every second of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home